Sunday, September 2, 2012

THE THREE WORD SERMON


As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
John 15:9

Every week, all over the world, ministers pray, research, write and pray some more – all trying to create a sermon that will inspire and ignite their congregations. And every Sunday, all over the world, they pour their heart and soul into bringing God’s message to their people with a unique and effective word from the Gospel.


Certainly, some truly brilliant and anointed messages come from world’s pulpits every week. But, some times I wonder: If I only had one sermon to preach, what would it be? If I knew that I only had one more chance to bring the message of Jesus Christ to the world, what would be the theme? What introduction would I use? What would be my main points to convey? What conclusion would be powerful enough to bring it all together at the end?

Then I realized something very important. The most profound sermon would be one that reflects everything Jesus told us. There is no complexity to it. No illustrations are necessary. You don’t even need PowerPoint!

The one sermon I would want to preach only has three words – Love One Another! Yes, that is all any church needs to do. Love One Another.

Can you imagine what would happen if a preacher stood before a congregation every Sunday, week after week, and simply said, “Love One Another,” and then sat down, finishing his sermon in three seconds? If that sounds ridiculous, imagine now if the entire congregation finally got this simple message and started doing exactly that. It would change the life of any church and any community where the people understood that Jesus wants us to love each other, first and foremost, Him!

Remember, love never fails. Love can turn evil to good, darkness into light and enemies to friends. True love can totally transform the world around us. And right now, you have the power of that love within you!

Don’t wait one more minute. Whatever excellent sermons you hear this week in church, on television or online, strive to start loving the way the Lord would have us love. Remember the little Three Word Sermon that says it all, the one that can live in your heart in every moment – Love One Another!

This Week’s Prayer
Lord Jesus, you told us to continue in love. That is why I ask your favor today. You know how hard it is to love with a broken heart. Please heal me today. Heal me from the wounds on my heart. Make me whole again so that I can bring your love to the world. Remind me that I can change the world. Strengthen me that I can do what must be done. Guide me that I can follow your will. And never let me forget that what you want most is what you gave most, love. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment