Sunday, August 26, 2012

THE REAL SECRET: REVEALED


 “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”
Philippians 4:12-13

A few years ago millions of people devoted their lives to the teachings found in the best-selling book, The Secret. It seems there has always been a mystique about ancient wisdoms and teachings. Every once in a while, someone goes to the dark closet of human knowledge, blows the dust off an old book, and claims they have found the new “secret” to happiness, fulfillment, significance, wealth – or in this most recent example – the secret to everything!

Let me tell you about an old document I read recently. It is a letter between two friends written about 1700 years ago. In the third century, Cyprian, the Bishop of Carthage wrote these words to his friend Donatus, “It is a bad world, Donatus, an incredibly bad world. But I have discovered, in the midst of it, a quiet and holy people who have learned a great secret. They have found a joy, which is a thousand times better than any of the pleasures of our sinful life. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They have overcome the world. These people, Donatus, are Christians, and I am one of them.”

He is talking about the kind of peace that we experience as follower of our Lord Jesus. It is the kind of peace that people notice, especially when we demonstrate it in times of trouble. When everything is chaotic around us, when the world is tired and lost, we are the ones the world should look to for hope. Our faith cannot be hidden from the world. As Christians, we cannot operate a private, invitation-only club.


It is time the Secret to be revealed!

No longer can the world afford to have us sit idly by while others suffer or are ignored, wallowing in injustice. We must demonstrate the love of Christ to the world in all that we do. Yes, every moment of every day, in every way, we must be Christ to the world! This was never meant to be a secret or a closed religion, shut off from the world. We are called to be actively involved in the world, bringing love and healing to those in need.

The secret is that there is no secret. We are Christians. Through Him we have overcome the world. Like Him, we are here to love God and to love one another. None of this can be kept quiet any longer. We must make the declarations from the mountaintops. We must shout it as a war cry to the nations! Jesus is Lord!

This Week’s Prayer

Lord Jesus, Thank you. For you have given me everything I need to make the most of my life. Like lilies in the field, you have placed opportunity all around me. My life is surrounded by your bounty and the by the needs of your people. Allow me to work for you, Lord. Give me the job of lending a hand when someone needs to be lifted up. Show me where the hurting people are so that I may introduce the to you through all the things I do. Amen.