Sunday, September 16, 2012

YOU ARE AMAZING. HERE'S WHY . . .


"When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, 
"I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel."
Luke 7:9


The Roman soldier was one of the most powerful men in all of Israel. He loved its nation and its people, so much so that he had built their synagogue for them. He was considered a good and deserving man by the people and when his beloved servant became ill, he called upon Jesus for help.

Yet, he was a Roman Centurion. He represented the occupation army that controlled Israel and its people. His armies ruled with brutality and force.

Though his faith in Jesus compelled him, he dared not approach the Savior personally. Yes, the people considered him worthy. Yes, Jesus was going to see him. That did not matter to the great Centurion. His humility demanded that he make his request through his friends.

So, they ran out to meet Jesus before He reached the Centurion’s house. They told him exactly what the Centurion wanted to say, but could not bring himself to tell Jesus in person. “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed.”

And Jesus was amazed at him! The only verse in Scripture where God is amazed by a single human response is found in this story. He was amazed because he knew this Roman believed that whatever Jesus said would be carried out. His faith was absolute and the servant was healed.

Yet, when Jesus returns to his hometown, he is amazed by faith again. Not by the great faith of a single man, but by the lack of faith of the entire community. They listen to Him teach and merely pass Him off as the neighbor’s insignificant son, not giving any consideration at all to His words. Because of their lack of faith, we know that Jesus could not do any miracles there except to heal a few people. His actions were diminished because the people did not believe.

How are you going to react to the promises of Jesus? Like the Roman Centurion or his neighbors growing up.

How are you going to amaze God today? Like the Centurion or like his neighbors? If you amaze God, will it be through your incredible faith in His love and devotion to you? Or will He be amazed because He wants you to inherit His Kingdom, yet you do not believe one word from His mouth?

Yes, you are amazing to God! And if you want His healing power to flow through your life, it must be invited through your faith!

This week’s prayer

Dear Lord, you are the source of all good things in my life. Without you I am lost in the wilderness, alone. Yet, I know you are here to rescue me. I know you will never leave my side. I know you love me and will always care for me even into eternity. Please guide me so that my faith in you will increase and that your presence in my life will become closer every day. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment