Monday, January 28, 2013

LIVE AND FORGIVE. FORGIVE AND LIVE.


And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.
                                                Mark 11:25

Many years ago, a very wise Sunday School teacher invited some of her student’s parents to class. Thinking the teacher had come up with a small skit or a cute song for the children to perform, many of the parents were happy to attend.

When the students and teachers arrived they found a stack of clear plastic bags and a large bin of potatoes waiting for them. After welcoming everyone, she explained that the parents had been invited because, “We are all children in the eyes of God and we all have lessons to learn.” Smiling, the parents realized they might be in for something they didn’t expect. Continuing with the lesson, this great teacher explained, “For every person you have refused to forgive in your life, take a potato. Then, write their name on it and put it in the plastic bag. Don’t stop until you’ve written the name of every person you haven’t forgiven.” When all the children and parents had finished, the teacher explained the rest of the assignment. She told them simply to carry the bag full of potatoes with them everywhere for one week; putting it beside their beds at night, in the car with them, next to their desks at work and school – everywhere!

The parents, knowing the assignment was presented to them in front of their children and that they could not turn away from its challenge at the risk of being hypocritical, took up their filled sacks and began the week.


To say that bringing the sacks everywhere was an inconvenience is an understatement. The potatoes began to rot and the smell was awful. Lugging the heavy load made life impossible.

When everyone came back the following Sunday, one father explained it best, “The hassle of lugging this terrible thing around made it very clear what a foul and heavy weight I am carrying spiritually. I’ll gladly give up this sack. But, I’ll be even happier to forgive everyone whose hurts I have been carrying on my heart.”

If you had the same assignment, how heavy would your sack be right now?

Unforgiveness is like taking a poison and expecting the other person to die. When you won't forgive others, you are truly only hurting yourself. Roy Lessin, a Christian author wrote a wonderful reminder, “If our greatest need had been information, God would have sent us an educator. If our greatest need had been technology, God would have sent us a scientist. If our greatest need had been money, God would have sent us an economist. If our greatest need had been pleasure, God would have sent us an entertainer. But our greatest need was forgiveness, so God sent us a Savior.”

God sent us a Savior that we might know His forgiveness. But, not only are we to know God’s forgiveness, we must share it with others by forgiving them. This week, let go of ALL your unforgiveness and release ALL your “potatoes” to the Lord. Remember, you need to get free so that you are able to do great things for Him!


This Week’s Prayer
Dear Lord, Forgive me of my sins. You have done so much for me, but forgiving me for all my sins is the most powerful and has given me eternal life. Teach me how it is done. Teach me how to forgive so that I may let go of all those prisoners I have yet to release in my heart. Melt my heart to the pain I have caused by holding onto the grudges and the sins made against me. Amen.