Wednesday, November 3, 2010

THE MAD MAN IN THE ATTIC

“For my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations.”
Isaiah 56:7

My life changed entirely through prayer and I don't mind telling people about it. Whenever I share my prayer life and practices with others, I inevitably hear responses like: “I get distracted in my prayer." "I can’t concentrate or focus." "I try to sit and talk to God, but in just a few minutes I’m thinking about how I have to clean out my car or the argument I had with so-and-so yesterday." I understand their frustration. But, it's terribly important not to just give up on real prayer if your distractions grow to loud.
There is no reason for that to happen to you because your life can change through prayer . . . and you can access this divine opportunity anytime. So, here is how you can avoid the distractions and discover a new level in your prayer life.
There is an ancient story about a man riding an elephant through a village in India. As the man tried to guide the elephant along the narrow passageways between homes and shops, the great animal would constantly poke his trunk into every window and door; startling the villagers and causing general mayhem in ways that only an elephant can.
Finally one morning, a wise villager stepped out in front of the beast and help up a large branch from a fragrant tree. The elephant sniffed at it, liked it, and wrapped his trunk around the branch to carry for the rest of the day. With this simple distraction, the elephant’s days of poking his nose where it didn’t belong were over.
Similarly, I often see people walking their dogs with a toy or stick in their pet’s mouth. I know these are the people who understand animals. If you don’t want your dog stopping to sniff everything along the way, give him something else to do.
That’s right! If you want Spot distracted – give him a distraction!
I’m telling you these things because we all experience distractions in life – but especially during our time of prayer. Our days and minds are so filled with activities, worries, thoughts, chores, etc., that we can lose our way when communing with God.
Even if we find a quiet room with low light, the brain can be filled with activity, noise, and movement. Saint Teresa of Avila tells us this is like having a mad man in the attic. The secret is to give the ‘mad man’ something to do so we can have a few minutes of quiet in our ‘house of prayer.’
Like the elephant with the branch, your prayer life will be a much smoother journey to God if you find something to focus on while praying. Some people simply open their Bible and place their hands on the pages, others light candles to focus on the soft light of the flame, while others play gentle music. All of these methods are effective in settling our mind so that we can have a far closer fellowship with Jesus Christ.
It is important to remember that prayer is not just your words to God. It is also hearing Him speaking to You. And you won’t hear what the Lord is telling you if you have a mad man in your attic!
Never forget that real prayer is a vibrant, eternal, life-changing conversation with God. Yes, prayer is your lifeline; plugging your body, mind and soul directly into the power of the Holy Spirit! Very simply, Prayer is spending time with your best friend: Jesus.
And the more you pray, the more your life will change and become empowered by God Himself. So give that old elephant something to do and let your journey begin!

“To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.

This Weeks Prayer
Dear Lord, I come before you now in prayer and worship. You are my Lord and Savior, my God and my All. Let nothing come between us. Let no thoughts, distractions, or troubles, keep me from hearing Your Still Small Voice. Guide me into focusing my full attention on You. Calm my body, my mind, and my spirit that I may journey forever deeper into Your Kingdom. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment