Sunday, May 19, 2013

WHO'S PACKING YOUR PARACHUTE?

"Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil.
Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."
Romans 12:16-18

Charles Plumb flew 74 successful combat missions over North Vietnam. On his 75th mission, with only five days before he was to return home, Plumb was shot down, captured, tortured, and imprisoned in an 8 foot x 8 foot cell for the next six years.

Eventually, Charles Plumb made it home. One day, he was sitting in a restaurant in Kansas City. “A man about two tables away kept looking at me,” he explains. “I didn't recognize him. But, a few minutes into our meal he stood up and walked over to my table, looked down at me, pointed his finger in my face and said, ‘You're Captain Plumb.’ I looked up and I said, ‘Yes sir, I'm Captain Plumb.’"

The man then said, "You flew jet fighters in Vietnam. You were on the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk. You were shot down. You parachuted into enemy hands and spent six years as a prisoner of war." Charles Plumb was stunned. He asked the stranger how he knew so much about him.

The man simply replied, "Because, I packed your parachute."

Mr. Plumb says, “I was speechless. I staggered to my feet and held out a very grateful hand of thanks.” He then told his new friend, “I must tell you I've said a lot of prayers of thanks for your nimble fingers, but I never thought I'd have the opportunity to express my gratitude in person."

Charles Plumb was overjoyed, but he didn’t get much sleep that night. “I kept thinking about that man. I kept wondering what he might have looked like in a Navy uniform - a Dixie cup hat, a bib in the back and bell bottom trousers. I wondered how many times I might have passed him on board the Kitty Hawk. I wondered how many times I might have seen him and not even said ‘good morning’, ‘how are you?’ or anything because, you see, I was a fighter pilot and he was just a sailor. How many hours did he spend on that long wooden table in the bowels of that ship weaving the shrouds and folding the silks of those chutes? I could have cared less...until one day my parachute came along and he packed it for me.”

Right now, this very moment, ask yourself this one simple question, “Who’s packing my parachute?”

This one question gives you an incredible opportunity to see the unseen, to know the unknown and to appreciate the overlooked. But, you must be honest with yourself. Who are the special – and maybe not so special - people in your life who provide you with strength, support, encouragement – or just a smile, the brakes fixed on your car, your bags packed at the grocery store – who make your days better and brighter?

The Lord sends a lot of people to pack our parachutes everyday. We may not know exactly who they are, but it could be anyone. That’s why we must appreciate and show God’s love to everyone we meet.
This Week’s Prayer
Dear Lord, You have saved me every way a person can be saved. You have saved my life, my soul and my place in heaven. I know you send people to save me every day. Thank you for them. I ask that you bless their lives and their work. Please allow me to show them the appreciation and gratitude they deserve. And show me the many opportunities I will have to pack the parachutes of those around me. Amen.